Saturday, March 9, 2013

Girl's Nightgown Made From Men's T-Shirts

Great Way To Upcycle Old T-Shirts

I used two men's undershirts for this peasant-style nightgown. This is for two reasons: first, it's nice to be able to reuse something that was destined to become a rag and second, I could have really messed this up and didn't want to waste money on fabric. Have I mentioned that I'm cheap? I know nothing about making clothes, but I wanted to give this a try and I really love how it turned out.

T-Shirt Upcycling by Over The Apple Tree

I didn't have a pattern to follow, pretty much made it up as I went along as you can see from my rough pattern I fashioned from scrap paper that was laying around! After I got an idea of the size and shape I would need from another of my daughter's shirts, I started cutting.


The back and front of the nightgown was cut from the backs of the t-shirts because these were v-necks and the backs had more surface area.


The sleeves I laid out and cut so that the original hem of the shirt would be the cuff of the sleeve.



Line up and pin right sides of fabric together. Sew these top seams.



Now, while still inside out, pin the bottoms of sleeves and down sides of gown. Sew together, stopping about an inch before you reach the cuff of sleeve.

OK, so I wasn't lying when I said I'm an amateur...look at this neckline! Not quite right huh? Believe it or not, I actually did this on purpose because I wasn't really sure how I was going to deal with this part and needed some wiggle room to figure it out.


 After I figured out how wide I wanted it, I cut, folded over and sewed, leaving a small opening in the back so I could insert the elastic cord. Tie off cord and sew opening close.


The gown and sleeves weren't quite as long as I wanted, so I cut strips of fabric to ruffle and attach to bottoms.


 My thinking when I used the original seam for the cuffs was to insert elastic in it. I still wanted to do this, so when I attached the ruffle for the sleeves, I sewed very close to the edge making sure there was still room to insert elastic then closed up opening.





T-Shirt Upcycling by Over The Apple Tree

I added some decorative ruffle strips in the front and that's it! My daughter calls this her princess pajamas because it looks like what the Disney princesses wear!

T-shirt Upcycling by Over the Apple Tree


For more fun tutorials go HERE

I will be sharing with these great blogs

Follow me here:

11 comments:

  1. Love this! Pinning! Visiting from Made by You Monday.

    Linda
    www.NightOwlCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you here Linda, thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing at the Ducks 'n a Row Blog Hop! Can't wait to see what you link up next week.
    Cathy
    APeekIntoMyParadise.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting great link parties Cathy!

      Delete
  3. oh my! I just love doing things like this with my husbands old clothes!! I've made lots of Pjs for my boys like this.. You've been featured at the Create Link Inspire features this weekend and I've pinned it to the features board... come on over and check it out! Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for the feature. Love your sewing projects!

      Delete
  4. Precious little gown, and LOVE the Up cycle. Making!! Pinning!! Thanks so much for sharing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sweet, I love a good refashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet and a fantastic repurpose. Thank you for sharing at the Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make link party! Pinning

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...